School has been the biggest mistake


First day of school from our new home

It is horrible to say, but school has been the biggest mistake.  I’m seriously missing homeschool. So why might you ask did we enroll them?  There are many reasons, all we thought were right at the time.

From September 2014 into last year DCF was urging us to move forward with Khloe’s evaluations, suggesting going through the school.  Unfortunately Boston wouldn’t do it because despite still being considered Boston residents while in a shelter,  we wouldn’t be local for multiple evaluations so we needed to transfer homeschooling to Leominster.   The process was quite simple,  a form like Boston requiring less than a full education plan, but a little more than Boston asked for.  After everything was processed she began evaluations and the school suggested enrollment. 

In July our DCF worker said that due to the schools recommendation they are required to enforce the suggestion of enrollment.  I contacted HSLDA and got a scholarship for membership.   We were ready to fight!! HSLDA was behind us and I was pretty certain we would win.  The school didn’t get the chance to see Khloe’s behavior and there was no way I could go to constant meetings or pick her up if she was behaving too badly to control her.

In August we got the call that we were approved for our apartment and would be getting the next available three bedroom,  so hubby and I talked about the pros and cons.  Our reasons for homeschooling was Khloe’s behavior problems,  Keira’s anxiety,  not having a stable / permanent living situation,  controlling their education (adjusting teaching above or below “grade level” based on their individual learning), not liking the Boston Public Schools and some smaller more personal issues.  We always told ourselves when our living situation was stable and more permanent we would give them the option to try school.  We spoke to members of the community and found the schools seemed to be decent and with our moving we’d be having many meetings with housing, getting documentation to various departments, moving and more, so not having all 4 kids to drag around would make it a bit easier.


First day of school

A week before school began we talked to the girls about if they wanted to go to school and Khloe and Keira decided they wanted to try it out,  but Kaylee wanted to continue homeschooling.   The process was simple I was picked up by a cab, filled out documents and we waited to find out their school and bus information,  which we got a week after school began.  The whole time I was filled with regrets,  I just had a bad feeling.


They were excited,  though the weekend before they started Keira changed her mind.  The morning of their first day Keira had a massive panic and I had fight myself not to grab her up and keep her home.  Khloe on the other hand was beyond thrilled and couldn’t get on the bus fast enough.  I was so sad, one child I was forcing to go, telling her to test it out for the year and that she wanted it, while the other couldn’t get away from us fast enough.


To be continued on why it has become a huge mistake……

We have a home


Dining area

Yes you read that right, we have a home!!  Shortly after my blog went down in August we got the call that we were next on the wait list in our top choice apartment complex.  They didn’t have an idea when an apartment would open up, but the next one was ours.


Living room

We applied in March and now needed to update all our paperwork because it was out dated.  The complex rents based on income and there is a max you can make based on family size despite offering market rent units.  The units are on the low end of market rent and part of the complex is subsidized,  but it is nice and affordable (kind of).



By September we were waiting on our bank to return proof of account for myself and a family had given an October 1st move out date!!! This meant we could be in by October 15th at the soonest.   We began getting our stuff in storage and at my in-laws prepared to move and signing all the documents to receive Homebase ($8,000 towards move in, mattresses and partial rent assistance for the first year) and waited.

On November 2nd we moved into our 3 bed, 1.5 bath apartment.  Life has been insane since then.  We were told our assistance wouldn’t change, but it did and now we’re struggling between buying toiletries and paying our electric bill.  Right after we moved in (literally our last day in shelter was listed as November 3rd) they announced on November 4th the shelter was closing and most would be getting a rental voucher.  We were approved for one and it is income based, but instead of helping it raised our rent $58 more a month which leaves us in the red around $185 a month. We’re working through it,  but it’s tough and hopefully we’ll get ahead soon enough.

I’m an amazing liar


It’s true, I’m an amazing liar. I’m not talking about in a bad way, just not really elaborating. You know when someone asks how you’re doing and you respond quickly with “oh, I’m good and you?” I’m not talking about every day people. Not the woman at the bus stop also wrangling her children making idle chatter. Not the cashier ringing up your groceries trying to fill the void while you’re wondering if you can afford that bag of chips you grabbed to eat hiding in the bathroom later. I’m talking about family and friends you don’t see on a regular basis.

After you answer they just stare at you, waiting and hoping you’ll get into how life has been, but how can you when your answer of “good” was nothing more than a lie. The last couple months “good” has been my response to everyone. “How’s the new apartment?” “It’s good.” “How’s the family?” “Everyone’s good.” “How’s school going for Khloe and Keira?” “It’s going good.” Just to change it up and dare we say fine, or even great to throw them off.

I won’t lie life is well good. It’s average, but amazing, insane, but beautiful. A lot has happened since I last posted. I wanted to post, but you might have noticed my blog was down. I wasn’t happy about, nor was it something I wanted to do. Due to the horrible WIFI at the shelter I didn’t have a good enough connection to update my WordPress and someone decided it was the perfect time to take advantage of the weakness and uploaded malicious files. My host took my blog down, locked me from doing anything other than deleting and backing up my files and with limited connection it was nearly impossible.

If you’re not familiar with WordPress there is a simple option to back up and download the file that stores your posts, comments, images, sidebar information and more and unfortunately I had not done one in a while and I had no access to do one now. I had to manually back everything up and when I manually restored it I was getting error messages or crashing my blog, so that’s why it’s a bit messed up and there is nothing in my sidebars. I’m hoping to find the time to get it all fixed, but time is something I don’t have much of. In the next few days/posts I’ll update on how life has been and how it’s going.